Ep 038: Copyright Law with Bobby Klinck
In this episode, Bobby is addressing a subject that is often brought up in entrepreneur circles and is extremely important to anyone who creates content of any kind. He will explain what copyright law is for, what it covers, how to protect you from being copied and how to enforce your rights. Bobby also goes over the basic process that you can go through to protect your work and marks.
Bobby shares the priority importance of registering and protecting marks and what might need to be enforced. The issue of potentially copying someone else’s work is also an issue of concern so Bobby shows how and when you can use other peoples’ work safely. He talks about how to properly use and mimic other peoples’ work in safe and fair ways while avoiding common copy-related issues.
What You'll Learn in Today's Episode
- Why copyright law is especially important to online entrepreneurs.
- What is copyright and what is actually covered by a copyright.
- The difference between ideas and expression.
- Common misconceptions regarding copyright.
- What you have to do to get copyright on your work.
- How protecting and registering your mark works.
- The advantages to register your copyright in the beginning.
- The value of using a copyright notice.
- How to go about using other peoples’ work safely and legally.
- The concept of fair use and what it means.
- Debunking the “7-second rule”.
- What you can do when using other peoples’ work.
- The area of copyright law that gets people in the most trouble